ABOUT THE FRIENDS OF HEREFORDSHIRE MUSEUMS AND ARTS
The Friends of Herefordshire Museums and Arts is a registered charity which provides visits and lectures for its members and makes small grants to support the work of museums in Herefordshire and the arts more generally. Funds are raised by membership subscriptions, fund-raising events and the encouragement of donations and legacies.
The Friends were founded in 1928 by Sir Harry Wilson, KCMG KBE to create a fund for the purchase of works of art for the permanent collection of the Art Gallery, which at the time only had three important pictures.
The first two purchases for the City Gallery were Nymphs and Shepherds Dancing by Joshua Cristall (£50) and Hay and the Brecon Beacons by Joseph Murray Ince, both local Artists.
Over the years the Friends have assisted in the purchase of works by Herefordshire's well-known artists, Scarlett Davis and David Cox, water colours of local landscapes by JMW Turner, Thomas Girtin, and John Varley, as well as costumes and numerous artefacts of rural interest bought to enrich the collections in the County.
The scope of the society has since broadened to aid the many museums across the county in acquisitions and grants.
The constitution identifies the primary role as assistance in the acquisition of material for the County's museums, but also the opportunity to enhance the collections and to further education in the arts.
More recently, grants have been made to help towards the restoration of the County's treasures. In addition, small grants have been made to encourage local young artists and craftsmen.